We have a lovely detached cottage which will become available to rent from early 2012. Jubilee Cottage is steeped in history, and was renamed when it was extensively renovated in 1977 – The year of the Queen’s Silver Jubilee!
Before 1977, it was originally two cottages which made up a total of six cottages, and three of these still remain next door to Jubilee Cottage, called The Barracks.
We believe in the late 1870’s, The Barracks were used for glove-marking and prior to this, were used for silk throwsting which required water to drive the mill.
“A silk "throwster" receives the silk in skein form, the thread of which consists of a number of silk fibres wound together to make a certain diameter or size, the separate fibre having actually been spun by the worm” from an extract from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silk_waste)
We also understand that Isaac Nind owned the cottages in the early 1800’s, and the property next door, Nindfield, is named after him. The Estate took over the cottages from Charles Best in 1879. We think the next tenants were Eunice and William Thatcher. This picture, we think, is of them outside the cottage, taken in about 1905. To find out more about the
history of Overbury, click on our History page.
If you are interested in coming to have a look around or finding out more information on Jubilee Cottage, or any of our other properties, please do give us a call at The Estate Office, on 01386 725 111.
Further information can be found on our Properties page.